I found myself in a really odd situation the other night. It was a Saturday night and I had the house to myself. I don’t think that has happened in almost eleven years. Not since I’ve had kids.
Dean and LD had gone camping and H and I had plans to do something special, when my brother messaged me and asked would H like to sleep over at his place with her cousins. I casually replied ‘yes, thank you she would love to’ and then I may have done a little happy dance (in the netball car park) and squealed a little bit on the inside.
Waking up with the house to myself? On a Sunday morning? Yes please!
Well you should have seen me skip through the front door when I arrived home to my empty house later that night. (This is where I add the disclaimer to say that I love my husband and children dearly. Oh yes, they are my world. Love, love love). But boy-o-boy I did feel a little bit like I’d died and gone to heaven.
Anyhow, after skipping through the door it dawned on me that I could watch a moooooovvvviiieeee! Mate, that would be pushing the envelope. Staying up past 9 O’clock? What a naughty little devil. But hey, I didn’t have to get up to anyone in the morning. I could sleep in!
You little rip snorter.
So I donned my uggies and my jarmies and I set myself up a comfy little
shrine seat in our ‘theatre room’ which is snob for ‘where the big telly is’. And with a cup of tea and a packet of Cadbury Dairy Milk Rolls in hand (not sponsored) I settled in with the lights out, theatre-style, to watch ‘The Queen’ on Netflix. The chocolate had pretty much been scoffed consumed before the opening credits finished rolling.
Life was good.
Next morning I woke before the sun came up. Typical! I willed myself to go back to sleep. Nup. Boooooing. Eyes open. Wide awake.
So I shuffled out to the kitchen to make a cuppa but stopped dead in my tracks when I noticed a brown splodgy mark on the tiles in the hallway. What on earth? It looked a bit like…well…it looked like poo! Then I noticed another splodge. And another splodge. There was a whole trail of splodges. So I followed the trail into the theatre room and…..
Oh Em Gee.
Standing before the trail of splodges, I looked under my ugg boot. There it was. Chocolate. I’d walked chocolate through my house.
And ground it into the carpet!
Never mind poo in the hallway. I nearly had poo in my pants.
This was an indictable offence! No one is allowed food without supervision in the theatre room. I had to get that carpet clean before anybody found out. And I was more than just a little bit frustrated that I’d wasted a piece of chocolate. Or two? I’m no forensic expert but that to me looks like two pieces of chocolate might have been at play here. Two pieces of chocolate that I missed!
Anyhoo, out came the carpet cleaning armoury and here is where I give you the one and only household cleaning hack that you will likely ever receive from me. And it’s exclusive to SRC readers! YOU are going to feel so spesh.
How did I get my carpet from this…(note comfy shrine)…
Windex. I use Windex to clean carpet stains and have done ever since Big Kev’s products disappeared from supermarket shelves after he died in 2005. RIP Big Kev. His carpet cleaning stuff was magic. But it did smell suspiciously like Windex to me. So out of desperation one day I tried Windex and voila. It worked like magic too.
I was excited.
No, it’s not organic and probably not particularly environmentally friendly. But it’s fast and effective and let me tell you, if you’re living in a new home with new carpet and you can’t blame the kids for your own
out of bounds chocolate binge misdemeanors, it’s your ‘get out of jail free card’.
So here’s how to get chocolate out of the carpet in less than 5 mins, should you ever find yourself in the same predicament. I’ve also used it on coffee, red wine, mud, you name it. It just works.
Remove the excess.
If it’s set hard as was the case with my chocolate, you need to scrape off as much as you can and vacuum it up. Don’t wet it! If it’s a liquid (e.g. tea, coffee, wine), blot it straight away. I throw a folded towel over spilt liquid and stand on it to soak up as much as I can.
Apply the Windex.
Spray the stain with enough Windex to wet the stain but don’t saturate it. Then work the Windex into the stain by rubbing with a dry cloth.
Remove the Windex and with it, the stain.
Take another dry cloth and blot to soak up the Windex. You should see the stain disappear too.
No one will be any the wiser!
Have you ever had to cover your tracks when you’ve majorly stuffed up?